Halloween is right around the corner, and there's no better way to set the spooky mood than with homemade candled in creeping crawling shapes and scents. Craft your own Halloween candles in mason jars for a decoration that provides ambiance and screams trick-or-treat!
Pick Your Mason Jar Holder
Mason jars make the perfect vessel for Halloween candles. Their glass material and wide mouth allow the light to shine through for an eerie glow. Pick small 4oz jars for single use candles or larger jars to hold bigger candles that will burn longer. You can find mason jars in different colors like orange or purple for a festive fall look.
Choose Your Scent
Scent is key for maximum Halloween ambiance. Some spooky scents to consider are:
- Pumpkin - quintessential fall scent, warm and spicy
- Mulled Cider - smells like fresh apple cider, sweet and autumnal
- Caramel Apple - the aroma of fair treats
- Toasted Marshmallow - ooey gooey campfire favorite
- Witch's Brew - aromatic blend of berries, pine, spices
Use scented oils or fragrance oils specifically formulated for candle making for best results.
Pick Fun Colors
The right colors can make your Halloween candles pop. Some options:
- Classic Orange - perfect for that jack-o-lantern glow
- Vibrant Purple - mystical and magical
- Ghoulish Green - creepy candlelight
- Ghostly White - shapes take on a phantom effect
Dye your wax or layer different colors for a radient, bewitching look.
Shape Your Candle
Giving your candle a Halloween-worthy shape takes it up a notch. A few ideas:
- Carve plain candles into pumpkins, ghosts, or tombstones
- Use silicone molds to create skulls, bats, creepy creatures
- Sculpt drippy tapers by hand into pointy hats or claws
Get creative with shapes that incite fright and excitement!
Top It Off
After shaping and pouring your candles, add some final embellishments:
- Glitter for ghostly sparkle
- Spiders or webs for eerie effect
- Fall leaves, flowers, or twigs for seasonal touch
Personalize your Halloween candles with the perfect spine-tingling accents!
Take proper safety precautions when making and burning handcrafted candles:
- Work in a well-ventilated area away from flammables
- Let candles fully set before burning, at least 24 hours
- Trim wicks to 1⁄4 inch before lighting
- Never leave burning candles unattended
- Keep out of reach from children and pets
How To Create Halloween Candles In Mason Jars
- Mason jars (4oz or 8oz)
- Wax (soy, paraffin, or beeswax)
- Fragrance or essential oils
- Wicks (pre-tabbed for jars)
- Candle dye blocks or liquid dye
- Decor items like glitter, leaves, etc.
- Double boiler for melting wax
Step 1 - Prepare the Jars
Wash the mason jars thoroughly and ensure they are completely dry. For shaped candles, insert wicks now and anchor them with putty or hot glue on the bottom.
Step 2 - Melt the Wax
Using a double boiler, melt wax on medium heat until completely liquid. Follow manufacturer instructions.
Step 3 - Add Fragrance and Dye
Once melted, remove from heat. Add a few drops of dye at a time and stir until desired color is reached. Then add fragrance oil as recommended on label and stir well.
Step 4 - Pour the Wax
Carefully pour the wax into each jar about 1/2 inch from the top. For layered candles, pour each color separately and allow to partially set before adding the next layer.
Step 5 - Add Decorations
Once poured, you can gently press decor items like glitter or leaves into the wax before it fully hardens.
Step 6 - Finishing Touches
Allow candles to cure 24 hours before trimming wicks and burning. Trim wicks to 1/4 inch for best results.
Follow these steps to create personalized Halloween candles! Experiment with layers, colors, scents and decor to make magical mason jar candles.
DIY Festive Halloween Candles in Mason Jars
Handcrafting Halloween candles in mason jars allows you to create unique, creepy-cute designs that set the mood for your haunted festivities. With the right techniques, you can concoct colorful, aromatic candles that will make any DIY witch proud!
Gather Your Candle Making Supplies
Start by collecting these essential supplies:
- Mason jars in various sizes like 4oz or 8oz to hold your wax creations. The glass material lets the flickering light shine through eerily.
- Wax like soy, paraffin, or beeswax. Paraffin melts easily while soy and beeswax are natural options.
- Pre-tabbed wicks designed specifically for mason jars and other containers to fit snugly.
- Halloween-inspired fragrance oils like pumpkin, spiced cider, and caramel apple.
- Candle dye in orange, black, purple, green, or red for dramatic coloring.
- A witch's cauldron... just kidding! You'll need a double boiler to melt the wax safely.
- Extras like glitter, sequins, or tiny plastic spiders to tuck inside for a festive finish.
Create Your Candle Canvas
Clean and dry your mason jars thoroughly to remove dust and oils. Plan candle designs and place wicks centered in the bottom of each jar, anchoring them with hot glue if making shaped candles.
Give Your Candle Color and Scent
Melt wax fully in your double boiler, then remove from heat. Add several drops of dye at a time, stirring until the wax reaches the perfect hue for your monsterpiece. Next, mix in your festive Halloween fragrance oil.
Conjure Up Layered, Shaped, or Embellished Candles
When pouring wax into the mason jar holders, take your time and get creative! Pour different colored layers one at a time, allowing them to cool and harden slightly before adding the next. Or sculpt drippy tapers, claw shapes, or carved pumpkins. Embed glitter or sequins between layers for mystical sparkling candles.
Apply Finishing Touches
After pouring, let candles cure for 24-48 hours before handling. Then trim wicks to 1/4 inch and place your creepy creations around your home for a fun DIY Halloween!
With the right supplies and techniques, you can easily craft custom scented candles in mason jar holders, perfect for Halloween. Show off your artistic talents and spooky side with homemade candles!